Our contributions to the #Frifotos Theme Rooftops on Twitter
- Weekend Plans in Singapore: CNY at Marina Bay – Scene Asia – WSJ on.wsj.com/wtqX0h
- Where to Watch Chinese New Year Fireworks in Shanghai – Scene Asia – WSJ on.wsj.com/wBgNAB
- Q&A with Soo Chan, owner and architect of @AlilaHotels Villas Soori @LuxTravelBiblebit.ly/zfmk2d
- RT @tangenghui: #FriFotos : Exotic – train from Mae Klong, Thailand, passing through the heart of their wet market flic.kr/p/a4kwPa
- RT @FSBali: The view from @FSBali villa at Sayan can’t get more #exotic than this #FriFotospic.twitter.com/cpEL3ZQc
- RT @FSMauritius: See truly #exotic photos of #Mauritius from the air facebook.com/media/set/?set… #FriFotos
- #FF greetings to some of our travel favs: @JustTravelous@HungryMaz@insidetravellab@travelettes@EuroTravelogue@gran_tourismo
- So beautiful RT @1step2theleft: Lush and #Exotic Rice Terraces in Bali bit.ly/sLhTcw#FriFotos
- Nice! RT @Ichweisswo: So cool! Love this! vimeo.com/35316964our Instagram pics as a video!
- The TRAVEL4VITALITY daily is out! bit.ly/mRWjfk ▸ Top stories today via @501places@fotopediamag
- Wir träumen an diesem Wochenende davon, auf Mauritius zu sein. Wer kommt mit? fb.me/1r0USgZ2V
- What’s Hot for 2012 | Luxury Holidays | Scott Dunn – goo.gl/ECMRE
- The 45 Places to Go in 2012 – NYTimes.com – goo.gl/QwSMZ
- RT @bawatours: NIYAMA Maldives, das neue Per AQUUM Resort auf den Malediven eröffnet am 29.2. wir sind gespannt.
- +1 RT @DestinAsian: Just got news that InterContinental Bali @IC_Baliis offering free WiFi to all in the resort. Wish all hotels offer that
- RT @reisenEXCLUSIV: Ein Nacht im #FourSeasons#Marrakesch – ein Traum aus 1001 Nacht! tiny.cc/c7xuv
- Very cool ad: Skateboarders on the streets of Tokyo at night vimeo.com/32287345
- A New Art Hub in Singapore – Scene Asia – WSJ – goo.gl/Gzinb
- RT @verge: The SOPA blackout: Wikipedia, Reddit, Mozilla, Google, and many others protest proposed law bit.ly/wed98w
- RT @CNNGo: Restaurant and photo studio by day, bar and lounge by night – a look at the coolest new venue in #Seoul. ht.ly/8xlXa
- The TRAVEL4VITALITY daily is out! bit.ly/mRWjfk ▸ Top stories today via @travel4vitality
- RT @fotopediamag: San Francisco, The City by The Bay fp.mu/9ISzTv
- Shangri-La hotels take shark fin soup off the menu | guardian.co.ukbit.ly/x8bkIs
- Looking back at Hong Kong 50 years ago – Susan Blumberg-Kason bit.ly/yQDRFl
- Der Atmende Gott – Reise zum Ursprung des modernen Yoga (Trailer) fb.me/1cehOe6F9
- Dokumentarfilmer Jan Schmidt-Garre hat für seinen Film „Atmende Götter“ die indischen Meister besucht. Ein Gespräch – bit.ly/y3DT3I
catching up, some of the most interesting stories we came across over the last, well, 2 months
- Karla Cripps of CNNGo visits the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi
- The Australian: Aman New Delhi turns one
- CNNGo features six hotel restaurants with incredible views, including Anantara Seminyak, Amansara and the Datai
- Speaking of the Datai, here is a report over at Sassy Hong Kong
- HK Magazine with an excellent list of the best alfresco bars in Hong Kong
- Huffington Post: Melanie Nayer inside the World’s tallest hotel
- The Independent: 24-hour room service: Alila Diwa, Goa
- A nice collection of first impressions from Hong Kong
- The Hotel Design blog with some gorgeous pictures of Les Suites Orient Bund Shanghai
- CNNGo’s Best Eats awards for 2010 for Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, Bangkok, Singapore and Mumbai
- The Guardian explores an important question: Why is outdoor gear so ugly?
- USA Today: How can you tell which TripAdvisor reviews to trust?
- National Geographic Traveler: The Tap Dance of Tipping
- CNNGo: 24 hours at Changi airport
Fish Spa? ‚What the heck is that?‘ I thought when we were strolling around the Shoppes at Four Seasons, Cotai Strip, Macau, on Christmas Eve in 2008. I am always curious and open to many things, so this attracted my spontaneous, undivided attention, and indeed I made a completely new experience. I abandoned my husband for an hour.
In a Fish Spa small doctor fish (Garra Rufa) about the size of a thumb are swimming in a shallow tiled pool waiting for their food – only that here no flakes are cast into the water, but the customers themselves are the food, who place their bare feet and lower legs into the pleasantly warm water. With their hard jaws the fish nibble off the dead skin cells, leaving behind tender, soft skin. At the same time the treatment has the same effect as a foot reflexology massage. All this was explained to me initially, and yet it was a real effort of will for me to soak my feet in the basin. A vague feeling that the fish might bite off my foot crept over me.
As I observed, most of the Fish Spa visitors were having a lot of fun. Some went about it with a little fear, some with courage, some were skeptical, some disgusted. But many of them relaxed quickly until cheerful smiles showed on their faces – not only because the fish treatment experience is terribly ticklish in the beginning, but simply because it is nice to sit there, watch the fish and have the feet massaged. Some of them, however, appeared to be unable to get rid of the feeling that their feet were captured in a pool full of Piranhas, as the noise level suggested. I think that this experience is worth trying anyway.
In fact, the underlying idea is not new at all. Fish are regarded as an alternative for skin problems such as psoriasis. A visit to the fish spa is not recommendable, by the way, for people who have sore points at their feet. They are getting worse thereafter.
Fish Spa in
- Macau: Shoppes at Four Seasons
- Singapore: Sentosa Fish Spa, where there is also a basin with bigger fish with more appetite for obstinate cases
- Kuala Lumpur: Kenko Fish Spa, for example in the shopping mall “Pavillion Kuala Lumpur” (without link, see photo)
In the meantime more and more Fish Spas have opened, in Asia anyway. Even in Berlin one will be opened soon.
Fish Spa? Was ist das denn? Dachte ich, als wir am Heiligabend 2008 durch die Shoppes at Four Seasons, Cotai Strip, Macau, schlenderten. Ich bin neugierig und offen für viele Dinge, die das Leben so zu bieten hat. Folglich erregte dies meine spontane, ungeteilte Aufmerksamkeit und ich machte in der Tat eine völlig neue Erfahrung. Mein Mann war für eine Stunde abgemeldet. Weiterlesen